Trying to put my thoughts & ideas down somewhere and give another outlet to my creativity. It's all connected, so I can't say it's a blog about just this or just that. Dolls. Fashion. Art. A little bit on travel, whatever... let's take it wherever it goes...

2011-08-03

Scarves, holidays and a vintage cocktail

Uh-oh, long time no write. The reason for that is that I've been on holiday, and time has been filled with a few work-related and other events - and a bit less time for vintage. But not to worry...

First on, I owe the pictures of two scarves of the month, which I shan't hold back:
July: a light blue, synthetic, triangular lace-decorated concoction.

August: a very 1970s design dominated by the color orange.

Now on to my holidays.
I spent the first week of July on the island of Usedom. It's located in the north-eastern most corner of Germany (the eastern part of the island lies in Poland), on the Baltic Sea. It may sound funny, but statistically, this is the sunniest part of Germany, and the island is a very popular holiday destination with Germans, a tradition that already started in the 19th century. It's the perfect place for a relaxed holiday, offering great beaches and lots of activities - but not as overrun as the destinations around the Mediterranean. What stuck me most in the end though was the combination of holiday beaches, the most idyllic landscapes and villages - and a very sinister piece of history, which at least in the northern part of the island, is still present. I only found out after having decided on going there, that located on that end of the island is the small village of Peenemuende - once a fishing village, but made infamous as being the place where from the mid-30s onwards the Nazis pulled up a huge test and development site where amongst others the V2 rocket was designed, tested and first produced - lead by Wernher von Braun. Most of the scientists working there, like von Braun, after the war went to the US, to France, to England and the USSR and continued their work - both for military and civilian use. There isn't a lot left of the sites per se, as most of it was destroyed in 1945, but there's still enough to see, and as idyllic as it may look, the "do not trespass - danger to life"-signs make sure one never forgets what once was here. The ground is just so contaminated there that large areas are closed off - probably forever. There is a very good museum in one of the few buildings that are still there, which I visited, which I think gives a well-balanced look at both the terrible history (they do not fluff over the horrible things that happened there), the technical innovations - and the legacy of those. It's just such an unusual place. Peenemuende is also home to an old Russian submarine from the 1960s, so the nerd within me was quite happy too about this trip. Besides all that, I did more biking than I've done in a zillion years (it's just so nice when all is flat, and the beautiful landscape helped too of course), and I hung out on the beach a lot too - I managed to read several books, which had been one of my goals. The photos from my trip can be seen here.

Speaking of books, thanks to the
Vintage Fashion Guilds' internet forum I discovered my current read: "Deluxe - How luxury lost it's luster" by Dana Thomas. I've only just started reading it, but it certainly makes for an interesting read, and will make you think twice about buying anything from luxury brands today. Another reason for buying vintage!

You might remember the vintage shift that I blogged about here. Since then, I have managed to find a wider satin ribbon for the shift as well. A few months ago I also bought a cute 1950s summer dress from Joules Vintage, which is slightly transparent and rather low cut at the front, so it needs a second layer. Well, why not combine the two? I think this is the first time I put two vintage pieces from such wildly different eras together, but it works! Both shift and dress are made from light, airy fabrics, so it doesn't feel uncomfortable even when it gets hot. Cinch it all in with a wide belt - et voilà!





No comments:

Post a Comment