Trying to put my thoughts & ideas down somewhere and give another outlet to my creativity. It's all connected, so I can't say it's a blog about just this or just that. Dolls. Fashion. Art. A little bit on travel, whatever... let's take it wherever it goes...

2010-08-23

Super dresses from Vienna...

Taking a break from sewing (something vintage-style, no less!) and reorganising my dolls (lemme tell you, that's hard work!)...
I had hoped to find maybe some nice 40s or 50s day dress in Vienna... well - nothing of the kind was around, but I think I did find two really cute other dresses. Ok, one's a formal one - as if I hadn't enough formal wear in my closet - but who could resist a cute dress if it's a perfect fit?

A perfect, cute little black dress - ca. early-mid 60s I guess. Might have been made by a seamstress, as there are no labels, but I think it's just a tad too professionally made for home made.

A cute little summer dress - sort of "70s does 40s", by Finnish label Karin(a?) Heikkilä. There's quite a few mainstream Finnish fashion labels around whose dresses seem to turn up all over the world on the second hand/vintage market, but nobody seems to know anything about them. Only they're all well-made and often look very Marimekko-inspired... other such labels are Merry Finn and Fennosport. Since I've seen the first examples of such dresses, I'm now always on the lookout for anything by them - or like them. Who knows, there's probably more! Finland used to have a very big and active clothing- and shoe-industry!


Karin

3 comments:

  1. Its a Kaisu Heikkilä oy. It started 1952 in tampere, finland and they specialized themselfes in dresses. The company closed 1990.
    There are a book from of their designs:
    "Muodin vai muodon vuoksi" Marjatta heikkilä,
    But only in finish as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is one of Kaisu Heikkilä's "Ultima" series from 1978. It's featured in the book Gitte mentioned, but in another colourway. I own a small collection of dresses by this brand, so if you ever decide to sell it, please contact me (LenaOstermann at gmail.com)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Lena, thanks so much for the details! I'm afraid though that I like the dress too much to give it away ;-). Karin

    ReplyDelete